Like every self-respecting outlet, we too got our hands on an exclusive Nintendo NX Controller prototype!
It’s called InkPad and the tech behind it is quite something. At first glance it looks like a book, but it is actually a journal! Which isn’t that different from a book. Actually it is a type of book, I guess. Anyway, the cool thing is: you can write in it. Wait, I know what you are thinking: “Of course I can write in it. It’s a fucking book, for fucks sake!” BUT look closely and you will see that our source at Nintendo (who is definitely not me, since I don’t work at Nintendo), who made this photo, drew something that looks like a controller on it. Yes, you can create your own button layouts on the controller. Isn’t that cool? The bundled version comes with two special wireless enabled smart-ink cartridges (the cable you see on the picture is because it’s still a prototype), each good for 4 buttons/sticks. Additional cartridge prices are yet to be determined, but our source tells us that it will be somewhere around $40, which is a bit cheaper than a PS4 controller and much cheaper than the similar Xbox One Elite controller. Optional rumble- and motion-ink is currently in development, but will probably not be available at release.
It’s probably not exactly what we had expected after those patent pictures surfaced some time ago, but there is an uncanny similarity (mostly the black and white color-scheme of the unit, though you will also be able to buy InkPads with colored pages)
So, what do you think? Will this be enough to break Sony’s dominance? Would you like to see the other console manufacturers adopt this tech? Let us know in the comments.
Also, what is everyone playing over the weekend?
- Greywolfe (Twitter, YouTube): more king's quest six. i'll keep walking around and mostly be talking to people this week. then, i'm going to actually try and get through more gateway as well as moving on in spore to the tribal stage. i'm at level 40 in wow now and am dreading doing the next dungeon [i had a not-very-fun dire maul where the group abandoned me to die, repeatedly before just outright kicking me. i dislike that fanbase so much, sometimes.] - apart from that? more hearthstone and magic: duels dailies. i'm hoping that more cards in magic == more fun, but you know, given how shoddy that product is, i'm not going to hold my breath that this will be true or anything.
- Thomas (Twitter): The dream returned
- Scrooloose: I'll be hitting up more Marvel Heroes, that's been the most fun I've had in a free to play game since Path of Exile. Might throw down some more Hitman as well. And I also plan on starting Daredevil season 2. Good stuff happening this weekend.
- Matthew (Twitter): This week I played more of The Division but this weekend sadly nothing helping my brother move so away from the computer and console until Sunday and then it's trying to get caught up on cleaning and house stuff. Have a great weekend all!
- Yoda0VGs (Twitter): Well as much As I would like to finish Rise Of The Tomb Raider, I'd rather spend my time watching something good... So I'll be playing the Netflix binge this weekend to see what kind of Frank Castle we get out of Daredevil Season 2! With a few sprinkles of Marvel Heroes in there for good measue :)
- Andrew (12/12 Games): Pokken Tournament and maybe some Super Mario Maker.
- Dante: This weekend I'll play the move back to my old house game (We had a lot of work done on it). I'm not sure how long it's going to be until I have internet again. I hope it's not as long as it was back in August. In the meantime I think I'll give Rayman Legends a bit more of my time.